Attention - This page is more than 3 years old.
Recommissioning water-cooled generators after the winter break
To ensure reliable operation and to remove traces of winter storage, all
generators should be subject to thorough maintenance and care before the new watersports
You can download a zip file containing higher resolution of the images on this page here: recommissioning.zip
The most important steps are described below:
We have used a Fischer Panda 8000i generator with a two-cylinder Kubota engine to explain the "spring care" in more detail:
1. Check that the battery is charged. Recharge if necessary. Please observe specifications of battery manufacturer.
2. Check anti-freeze protection and level of cooling water. Refill if necessary.
3. Drain engine oil. Renew oil filter by means of tension belt and renew engine
oil as specified in manual.
4. Remove any engine preservation agent with petroleum.
5. Degrease v-belt pulleys and install v-belt correctly. Check v-belt tension
(correct tension: when belt can be pushed down by approx. 1 cm)
6. If fitted, loosen turbocharger oil pressure line and refill clean engine oil in pipe.
7. Keep engine shut-off lever in 0-position and turn engine several times by hand.
8. Clean air filter housing with petroleum, check air filter. Renew if
9. Remove covers of the exhaust opening and of suction holes.
10. Check and install impeller. Lubricate impeller housing.
11. Connect battery. Close battery main switch.
12. Keep shut-off lever (lever of injection pump) at generator engine in 0-position and activate starter for approx. 10 sec. Repeat this procedure twice after a 10-sec.-break.
13. Visual inspection of the generator according to initial operation and start generator. It must be ensured that all electrical contacts, switches and connections are secure.
14. Check sea water filter and water connections
for damage that may have been caused by frost and possible blockages.
15. Check water lock, exhaust-water-separator and
exhaust pipe for damage and that they are secure.
16. Start generator. Open water cock immediately after successful start of generator to ensure that impeller does not run dry for too long.